My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fake OUT...

This is a variation of the old classic Beef & Broccoli. It came from Rachel Ray. I really liked it, we hardly ever eat beef in our house so it was a nice little change although it would be good with chicken too. I served this over brown rice.


Orange Beef & Broccoli

1 bunch broccoli- cut into florets
11/4 cups beef broth
2 T hoisin sauce
2 T soy sauce
2 T plum sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 orange, peel grated and juice of 1/2
1 3/4 pound boneless sirloin steak- sliced into 1/4 inch think pieces
1/4 canola oil
1 jalapeno chile, thinly sliced

In a large skilled bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and boil until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the broccoli and rinse under cold water. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together the broth, hoisin, soy sauce, plum sauce and 1 T cornstarch. Stir in the orange peel.

Toss the steak with the remaining corn starch. In a large skillet heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the steak and jalapeno and cook turning until the meat is barely pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer the meat to a paper towel lined plate, discard the excess oil. Add the broth mixture to the skilled and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the meat, broccoli and orange juice and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with orange wedges over rice.

No comments: