My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Blueberry, Bran, Flax Muffins

To my surprise my husband actually requested these. I was pleased to make them for him but I was worried that if I made a whole wheat, bran muffin it would be really dry. I added yogurt to it to moisten it up a bit and they are moist and delicious and I feel really good about eating them!
Blueberry Bran Flax Muffins

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup blue agave natural sweetener (if you don't have this add 1/4 cup extra honey)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2 cups of frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Makes 12 muffins

Sift together the flour, flax, wheat bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt. After awhile the coarser bran and flax will remain in the sifter. Just turn over the sifter at this point and add it to the sifted flour and other dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl mix the oil and honey (measure the oil first in a liquid measuring cup then use the same cup to measure the honey and the honey will stick less), add the egg, milk, lemon rind and lemon juice.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry. Mix only enough to wet the dry ingredients--don't vigorously beat.

Add the frozen berries and mix lightly to blend.

Put in muffin cups (good to use the papers--so the muffins don't stick) and bake for 30-35 minutes (until a knife goes into the muffin and comes out basically dry--if it comes out with wet batter, the muffins are not done enough).

Don't over bake--they simply are not good when you do! Let cool for a 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Enjoy!

No comments: