My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Garlicky Bean and Chicken Enchiladas

I found the recipe for the Garlicky Bean Enchiladas in the March '08 issue of Rachel Ray. I decided to add shredded chicken to them and they were excellent. My husband said "we could have gone to a mexican restaurant and our meal wouldn't have been nearly as good"! I have to agree, they tasted like they came from a gourmet mexican restaurant. I put my chicken in the Crock Pot with 1 packet of taco seasoning and about 1/2 cup of chicken broth and let it cook about 4 hours until it shredded on its own. I made homemade spanish rice to go along with this and used brown rice to make it a bit healthier. Boxed spanish rice would also work.




Garlicky Bean & Chicken Enchiladas

2 chicken breasts, shredded
1/2 cup plus 2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans cannelloni beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
12 6 in. round corn tortillas
2 cups store bought salsa verde
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 375. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 T oil over medium heat. Ad the garlic and cook until just golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook for 1 minute. Season w/ salt and pepper and mash with the back of a fork while continuing to cook for about 7 minutes. Take off heat and add the cilantro. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a small skillet heat 2 T of oil. Fry tortillas 1 at a time for about 5 seconds per side until starting to bubble. Add more oil as needed. Transfer fried tortillas to paper towels to drain (I tried to skip this step but the tortillas crumble if they are not fried first). Place about 1/4 cup of the beans and 1/4 cup of the chicken on 1 tortilla and roll to close. Transfer to a prepared 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining beans, chicken and tortillas. Pour the salsa over the filled tortillas Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake until the cheese is melted and the salsa is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Serve with sour cream.
Spanish Brown Rice
1 T olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups brown rice
1 package taco seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes w/ liquid
2 cups chicken broth
In a medium pot heat oil on medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute until they become opaque. Add rice and saute for 2 minutes. Add taco seasoning and mix. Add tomatoes w/ liquid and the chicken broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, approximately 25 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments: