My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The BEST Quesadilla Ever

I decided to mix quite a few yummy flavors in between a couple of tortillas and came up with an excellent quesadilla. The sweetness of the potato and the melted cheese with chicken were very tasty. The ingredients may seem like an odd combination but trust me...they work! You could omit any of the items or add anything to this and I'm sure it would be just as good. I cooked this on my Cuisinart Griddler but just on the stove in some olive oil would work. I also used some whole wheat wraps from Trader Joes for my tortilla but whatever you have or pick up will do.

The Best Quesadilla Ever (Sweet Potato, Chicken Quesadilla)

4 large size tortillas
3 boneless/ skinless chicken thighs
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can black beans, drained
1/4 onion, diced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup Pepita's (pumpkin seeds)
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 t cinnamon
2 t cumin
2 t chili powder
1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350. Season chicken thighs with 1 t chili powder and 1 t cumin. Place in an oven safe dish and cook for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Cool and chop into 1/2 inch think cubes. Set aside.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Strain potatoes and mash with a whisk until smooth. Add 1 t cinnamon, 1 t chili powder and 1 t cumin to mashed potatoes, set aside.

Drain beans and place in a bowl. Add chopped onion and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Add chopped cilantro, Pepita's, garlic and olive oil into food processor and grind until a pesto is formed. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

In a small skilled heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Set aside.

To assemble:
Lay 1 tortilla flat on clean work surface. Spread 1/2 of sweet potatoes in an even layer on tortilla. Top with 1/2 of the wilted spinach. Top spinach with 1/2 of the bean mixture. Top the bean mixture with 1/2 of the diced chicken. Top the chicken with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. On the 2nd tortilla and spread 1/2 of the pesto mixture on 1 side of the tortilla. Place the tortilla pesto side down on top of the other tortilla.

Repeat with the other 2 tortillas.

Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat or heat grill over medium heat. Brush olive oil on the outside both sides of the tortillas if using grill.

Place Quesadillas in oil or on grill, flip after about 5 minutes or when browned if in pan. Remove when heated through and crispy on both sides.
Cut into 6 triangles and serve with sour cream.

No comments: