My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Monday, March 31, 2008

Stuffed

This is a tasty and easy weeknight chicken recipe. I'm a big fan of goat cheese so I use quite a bit of it. I make my own pesto with whatever I have on hand. Sometimes it's cilantro and pine nuts, this time it was basil and walnuts but you can be creative and use whatever kind of herb and nut you have. If your in a time crunch or don't feel like creating your own you can also use store bought pesto. I also use a small Cuisinart mixer for both the cheese mixture and the pesto. If you don't have one of these, chop all ingredients finely and combine or use a blender. Tonight I served this chicken with sauteed spinach and baby tomatoes (just sauteed in olive oil and s&p) and baked fingerling and sweet potatoes (recipe below).

Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken w/ Pesto Crust
4 boneless/ skinless chicken breasts

6 0z goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (I used oil packed but just dried will work also)
1t dried Italian seasoning
1T olive oil (if using oil pack tomatoes, use 1T of the oil in jar)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
1 garlic clove
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the largest portion of the chicken breast cut a pocket about 2 inches long and 1 inch deep. Make sure the cut does not open to the other side of the breast. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.

Combine goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning and olive oil in the food processor. Pulse the ingredients on high until combined. Stuff the goat cheese mixture into the pocket of each of the chicken breasts, pressing the cheese far enough in that it won't fall out while cooking. Set aside.
Again using the food processor combine basil, olive oil, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese. Pulse on high until all ingredients are combined and pesto is formed. Spread the pesto on top of each piece of chicken, coating the entire breast.

Cook chicken in pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Baked Fingerling and Sweet Potato Fries

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick strips
1/2 lb fingerling potatoes, not peeled, cut in half
2T olive oil
2T butter (I use Smart Balance, non dairy butter substitute)
1t blackening seasoning (if you don't have this you can use Chile seasoning and cumin)
1t Italian seasoning
s&p

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large saute pan heat oil and butter over med-high heat. Add the potatoes and begin to saute. Add all seasoning and combine well while continuing to saute for about 2 minutes. Turn potatoes out onto a greased baking sheet and cook in oven for about 15 minutes or until they become crispy.

Enjoy!

No comments: