My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Paddy's B-Day!!

As many of you know my Husband's birthday is on St. Patrick's Day. It's always a party that usually includes green beer and car bombs...but no this year. Today Jimmy wanted to stay in and have the old Irish stand by, corned beef and cabbage. I've never made this Irish creation and honestly wasn't all that excited about eating it. I was pleasantly surprised. It was tasty and very easy. The beef was tender and shredded and the veggies were flavorfull. I also made a tasty little mustard sauce to serve with the beef. I have a feeling this will become our St.Paddy's Day/B-day tradition.

Corned Beef
1 pre-packaged corned beef with spices.
3 carrots, peeled and chopped in 2 in. pieces
8 small yellow or red potatoes, chopped in half
1/2 green cabbage, diced in 8 pieces

Cook the Beef according to package directions. When the beef only has about 1/2 hour left, add the carrots & potatoes. Remove the beef after the vegetables have sauteed for 30 minutes and cover with foil and set aside. Add the cabbage to the other vegetables adding water to make sure it is covered with liquid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until it is done for your liking. Remove the vegetables from the liquid and serve with the beef.

Mustard Sauce
4 T mustard
1 1/2 cups catsup
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
12 T cider vinegar
12 T water

Whisk all ingredients together. Pour half over beef before serving and serve the other half along side the meat.

Enjoy!

No comments: