My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

African, Chicken, Peanut Soup...OH MY!

This is a soup that warms you up from the inside out. The flavors are all so tasty together but very different. My mom first turned me on to this and I've adapted it slightly since. I like to serve it with toasted pita for dipping and over brown rice but it would be good over cous cous too.

African Chicken Peanut Soup
2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 T ginger, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
3 T peanut butter
3 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 t sesame oil
1 1/2 t curry powder
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups spinach, chopped coarsely
3 cups cooked brown rice

In a large, deep skillet, place 1 T oil over medium/ high heat. Add half the garlic and ginger and heat for 10 seconds. Add the chicken breasts and saute for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the chicken over and saute another 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the chicken and allow to cool. Once cool enough to work with dice the strips of chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.

Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining oil. Add the onion, remaining ginger and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and top with the chicken broth. Let simmer 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, tomato paste and curry powder to create a thick paste. Add this mixture to the pot and simmer another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach, stirring it into the soup so it is thoroughly covered and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the spinach is soft and tender.

Serve the soup over brown rice and top with a scoop of yogurt or sour cream.

Enjoy!

No comments: