My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Salmon Cakes

This is another one of my old standby recipes that I dust off once every couple of months. Whenever I make them I always freeze at least half of the cakes and pull them out for a quick, yummy dinner every now and then. They do take a little while to put together, lot of chopping and different steps, but they are always a hit and I love having them in the freezer.

Salmon Cakes w/ Aioli

2 T olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup red pepper, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz cooked salmon meat
3 T fresh lemon juice
1 T dijon mustard
1 T Worcester
1 t hot sauce
2 cups ritz crackers, or equivalent
2 egg whites
2 whole eggs
3 cups panko or bread crumbs
Canola oil for frying, about 1/4 cup

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and red pepper and saute until soft. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in salmon, lemon juice, dijon, Worcester and hot sauce. Beat the two egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into salmon mixture. Mold salmon cakes using about 1/3 cup each. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.

Beat remaining 2 eggs on large plate. Dip the cakes in egg mixture, and then in panko.

If freezing cakes stop at this point. Store in air tight container and freeze.

Heat 2 T of canola oil in large saucepan over med-high heat. Add 3-4 salmon cakes and fry until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Continue to fry cakes working in batches heating more oil each time.

Serve with Aioli.

Aioli
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
3 T fresh lemon juice
1 T Worcester
1/2 t hot sauce
1t dijon mustard
1 t garlic salt
Mix together well and serve atop salmon cakes.

Enjoy!



No comments: