My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mojito Chicken


I spend a lot of time at our local Trader Joes and have become very familiar with their products. I've started doing most of my weekly grocery shopping there. If they don't have it, I usually omit it from a recipe. Other than a monthly trip to Costco (they have the cheapest organic chicken and my husband is obsessed with buying things in bulk) Trader Joes is basically the only store I go to. Their products contain the most natural ingredients, no trans fats or high fructose corn syrup, limited preservatives and often they are organic. With that said, they have some great pre-made sauces that come in very handy when making a quick, healthy dinner. I always keep a few of them on hand and this Mojito Sauce is no exception. This was a great, easy, nutritous meal.

Cuban Mojito Chicken

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 can Cuban Mojito Sauce
1 T jerk seasoning
1/4 cup light rum- if you don't have this on hand you can omit it
1 T olive oil
2 T onion, chopped
1 T garlic, minced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 can Black beans, drained
1 cup TJ's frozen succotash (another TJ's item I can't live without. Frozen shelled edamame, red pepper and corn. Obviously substitue whatever frozen veg you would like)
3 cups brown rice, cooked

Place cubed chicken, 1/4 jar of the Mojito Sauce and the jerk seasoning into bowl and mix. Let marinade for 10 minutes, up to an hour.

Heat large skillet over med-high heat. Add marinaded chicken and saute 5 minutes. Add the rum (be careful, it may flame) and cook an additional 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

Return skillet to the heat and saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add the black beans and saute 1-2 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables, spinach and the remainder of the sauce. Saute 5-7 minutes.

Return the chicken to the pan. Serve over brown rice.

Enjoy!

No comments: