My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comfort Food

I was thinking grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup sounded good for dinner tonight. Such a comforting, easy meal that is always tasty. Since I had all the ingredients and some spare time I decided to go for it and make it all myself (sorry Campbell's, not tonight). It was great, healthy and very filling.

Homemade Tomato Soup


1 T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
3 T tomato paste
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 chopped large tomato
3 cans tomatoes with liquid (stewed, chopped, anything will do)
2 T sugar
Salt and pepper
2 T basil, chopped
sour cream and cheese for garnish

Heat oil in large pot. Saute chopped onions, celery, carrots and garlic until they are beginning to get soft. Mix in bay leaf, tomato paste and chicken stock. Stir in all tomatoes, sugar and salt and pepper. Simmer soup for about 1/2 hour. Remove bay leaf and blend soup with immersion blender until thick. Stir in chopped basil and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.




No comments: