My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ole, Ole!!!




I think that my favorite type of food is Mexican. With that said I try to incorporate it into as many meals as I can. My husband is getting really sick of turkey tacos so with all of my new found free time (recently unemployed) I have begun to get creative. Below are 2 of my recent fiesta creations I came up with in my constant quest to make good Mexican food that is also healthy. While they are far from gourmet they were both very tasty and won the acceptance, even praise of the mister. Appetit Bueno!


SW Turkey Burgers w/ Avocado Cream

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup salsa
2 T taco seasoning
4 slices pepper jack cheese

2 mashed avocados
3 T low fat mayo
3 T low fat sour cream
1 t garlic salt

4 whole wheat hamburger buns

Mix Turkey, salsa and taco seasoning in bowl. Form into 4 equal 1/2 inch thick burgers. Burgers will puff up while cooking so make them thinner then usual. Cook on grill or grill pan until completely heated through. Top with cheese and allow to melt.

Mix avocados, mayo, sour cream and garlic salt. Top burgers with avocado mixture.

I served these with oven sweet potato fries and it was excellent. It would also be great with some simple tortilla chips.



Mexican Cobb Salad (makes 2 servings)

Romaine lettuce
2 chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning
3 avocados, 2 smashed/ 1 sliced
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 cup black beans
1 chopped medium tomato
2 T chopped cilantro
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
feta or goat cheese

Coat chicken breasts in taco seasoning and cook through on grill or in pan. Slice and set aside.

Mix together the beans, tomato, cilantro, corn, vinegar and oil to make a salsa.

Mash 2 avocados and add sour cream 1 T taco seasoning.

To assemble pile the romaine lettuce on a plate and layer each item on the lettuce. Start with sliced egg, then add the sliced chicken breast, next pile on the black bean salsa, next layer 1/2 of the sliced avocado and lastly a layer of the feta or goat cheese.

Top with a layer of the avocado dressing.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Delicious! I subbed the bun for a wrap. LOVED IT!
Love,Janna