My name is Andrea and I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I am a newlywed who loves to make meals for my husband as well as our friends & family. I am a complete amateur but I thought it would be fun to keep track of what I make and share my recipes. Bon Appetit!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Healthier Banana Bread

The banana bread I usually make is more like a cake. Don't get me wrong, I love it but I usually feel like I am eating dessert instead of a bread. I decided to try a healthier recipe and it turned out great. It has 1/4 of the oil and 1/2 of the sugar of my previous recipe. The blue berries also give it a fun little twist. My husband likes this for breakfast with a big glass of cold milk and I don't feel guilty for eating it. This ones a keeper!

Healthier banana bread

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1 egg white
1 t vanilla
3 ripe mashed bananas
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (I like the wild frozen blueberries from Trader Joe's because they are small and tasty)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Lightly beat the egg and egg white in a small bowl. Add vanilla, bananas, oil and yogurt to eggs and mix.

Add dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until just combined. Add blueberries and gently mix. Spread batter into greased pan and cook for approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted is clean.

Enjoy!

No comments: